SX Tape (2013)
Stars: Caitlyn Folley; Ian Duncan.
IMDB Rating: 4.3
Plot: What begins as harmless sex games between a free-spirited artist and her videographer boyfriend turns much darker as the pair breaks into a boarded-up former hospital, looking for a space for a new gallery show. As they investigate the building’s ominous rooms and passageways, a seductive prank, meaning to arouse and terrify, goes terribly wrong – and what is discovered will destroy them both.
Review: “SXTape” is a “found footage” movie, that has jumped on the bandwagon of successful films such as “Blair Witch” or “Paranormal Activity”. While the title may imply that there are sex scenes that you can feast your eyes on, you don’t actually see anything, apart from one nudity scene early on in the film and an implied threesome which Adam later sees on the security footage.
The story of “SX Tape” is not anything new by any standards, but it was thought out well enough to bring another “horror found footage” movie to the market. While it was interesting to a point, and had a one or two chill points along the way, the movie did lack the real scare factor to keep this audience engaged.
For those who are GAC fans, you will notice that filming was done at the abandoned Linda Vista Community Hospital. Also where numerous other films and movies have been made.
There are a few flaws in this film. Such as for a building that has been abandoned for decades, there is still power and running water. Other flaws you can pick for yourself if you decide to watch this movie.
The acting was nicely done by Caitlyn Folley (Jill), but as for the rest of the film, I would pass.
My Rating: 2 out of 10.
Have you got a true ghost story that could be featured on a new show?
Got a story or photos about things that go bump in the night?
Do you live in a house that is haunted?
Maybe you work at a place that is haunted?
If you have an interesting story that you would like to share, join the Facebook group, write a few lines of your experiences, post it on the group and if its good we’ll get in touch
Location: Victoria, Australia
Once in a while a movie comes along that gives me the chills. Paranormal Activity is one of those movies.
While some have said that it was based on a true account, let me start by saying that it is entirely fictional, shot in the same style as Blair Witch.
This movie may have been overhyped a little bit, but I still found it to be very creepy and effective. There were several scenes that gave me the chills.
While it would be unfair to tell all bout the movie, I will share some of the scenes that got to me.
1. The first really loud “thump” and door slamming shut.
2. The “thump” during the daytime when the demon scratched their picture.
3. The shadow movement on the door.
4. The fast-forwarding when Katie was just standing staring at Micah for two hours the first time and she walks out the door, I wasn’t sure if she was going to come running back in or what was going to happen.
5. The time where Micah woke up when the door was opening and the demon stomped out and slammed the door.
6. The night where the baby powder footsteps appear. When Micah follows them into the attic and finds the burnt picture of Katie, everyone freaked out. As Katie states, there’s no way that photo would be in their house, because it was lost when her house burned down. As this scene pointed out, the entity demonstrated its obsession with her.
7. When the psychic enters the house, he is so frightened that he has to leave immediately. The scene expertly created a sense of dread, tension, and an overall feeling of utter hopelessness for the main characters. After that, you pretty much knew that there was no way to stop it, and that both Micah and Katie were doomed.
8. And finally the scene where Katie gets dragged down the hall. In my opinion, this was the most frightening scene in the entire film. It made me wonder what it would do to her had Micah not come to the rescue. The thought alone just sends chills up my spine. Brilliant piece of work, and I for one would love to see how they actually filmed that.
Without further delay, the synopsis of this brilliant movie:
A young couple suspects that their house is haunted by a malevolent entity. They set up video surveillance to capture evidence of what happens at night as they sleep. Their surveillance and home videos have been edited into the 99 minute feature film “Paranormal Activity”
The video surveillance camera shows Katie and Micah asleep on October 8th, 2006. At 1:43 AM local time, Katie sits up in bed with a start. She gets out of bed and turns to face Micah, and the blanket slides off of him onto the floor without him or Katie touching it. Katie walks over to Micah’s side of the bed and stands over him, watching him, rocking back and forth, for 90 minutes. It is just before 3:15 AM when she leaves the bedroom and we hear the sound of very heavy footsteps. Suddenly Katie begins to scream at the top off her lungs. Micah jumps up and runs out of the bedroom, yelling for her. He suddenly begins to scream as well, but all screams from both of them halt very abruptly. There are more heavy footsteps before Micah is hurled into the bedroom against the wall, knocking down the video camera. Katie is standing in the bedroom doorway, the front of her shirt covered in blood. She walks over to Micah and kneels over him, putting her face against him. After a few seconds she looks up and crawls over to the video camera, smiling into it. Just as the screen goes black, there is a hint of her face turning hideous and lunging at the camera. A title screen says that police found Micah’s body on October 11th, 2006, and that Katie’s whereabouts are still unknown. The screen then shows the movie’s copyright protections and the movie ends, without any closing credits.
If you want to get a good chill, then check out Paranormal Activity. I give this 5 out of 5!